October 4, 2007

The Ghost Station 2007












The Ghost station was an interesting stop on our list of things to see that night. I think the best part about Nuit Blanche is not necessarily the artwork itself, but rather the people you are with and how you interact with others around you. The reason why I say this is because on our way to see the Ghost Station Adrian and I met two couples who were headed for the same exhibit. We heard there was a huge lineup for this exhibit and quickly realized that the rumors were true when we finally arrived to the line which was approximately an hour wait to get in. We were definitely not pleased about this so we made our first attempt to sneak our way into the front of the line. Unfortunately the security guard caught us and told us to go to the back of the line. We weren't going to give up though. The two couples, whom we just met merely seconds earlier insisted we make a second attempt to sneak into the line. This time we were successful. Maybe it was because we re-arranged our clothing and altered our hair to make us look different. I don't know but the process was fun anyhow. I was also quite surprised that no one said anything about us cutting in front of the line (they were probably too stoned or drunk to realize what was happening). We were very excited to enter into the ghost station, hoping to be spooked out or maybe even spot a few ghosts. We had no such luck. The whole exhibit was based on weird sound effects that were supposed to freak everyone out. In the end it was quite disappointing to not have been frightened in the least bit as I was walking through the station. The fact that we were able to see this unused station was interesting and the sound effects were pretty cool, but the intent of the project was supposed to be about paranormal activity and there was nothing paranormal about it. I do have to admit though, I did enjoy this exhibit firstly because we didn't have to wait in line for an hour (in which case I would have been pissed) and secondly because of the cool people we met in out attempt to cut in front of the line. In this case The Ghost Station was definitely worth the (5 minute) wait.

~Laura

No comments: