October 4, 2007

Royal Ontario Museum-Ground Loop Alibi (Laura & Adrian Photos)






















This stop was a really fun part of the night as well. It was very interactive because the audience was a direct participant. The idea of this exhibit was to "mix international sounds, and images to explore geographic, cultural and personal differences". I thought this idea was a load of crap, and that this description was only used as an excuse to make this outdoor party "artsy" and "intellectual". I don't think this exhibit explored anything about geographical cultural or personal differences. The only differences it explored, was how different people dance. The exhibit was successful in a sense that it encouraged individuals to be active participants and to interact with one another on the dance floor (or in this case the sidewalk). It gave a whole new meaning to the song "Dancing in the Streets" because people were quite literally dancing in the streets! Although I don't buy into the description or the purpose of this exhibit, I thought it was enjoyable and successful in other ways. It explored more about people’s reactions to music then their geographical and cultural differences. I think that music and dancing is a way to bring people together in the act of dancing and having a good time rather then pointing out differences.

~Laura

No comments: