The line ups were amazing Laura, I was especially fascinated by the fact that the ghost station and the secular confession events were stationed in a "rich" area and around some of the popular clubs downtown. It was interesting to see the older people in there Mercedes Benz trying to get past a swarm of "art students". But I must agree with Laura that Nuit Blanche was not about reaching all the events but finding artists and there work that made you think about your life and the world and how some of society’s social norms can be changed. It was really the people that made the artwork. As for going to the ghost station I agree that once we finally got into the subway it was not that spectacular at all to see. Sure the surroundings created for the event were appropriate, dark subway no lights, trains standing still on the tracks and sounds coming from all directions, but there was nothing that really stood out as mysterious or scary. Actually the best part of each exhibit I found was when the audience became involved with the artwork. for instance at the Ghost Station students wanted to further investigate the exhibition but trying to open the doors of the trains...since this was Nuit Blanche many people especially students thought allot of the events were suppose to be interactive. Although on some level it was stupid of them to try to go on a train that was not in use. On another level I was happy that they tried to push the limits of the artwork and try to explore the boundaries of the Ghost Station. The guards that were positioned a few feet were not happy and pulled them off the train .They were actually able to get inside the trains which I thought was hilarious. Trying to break the boundaries or rules to the artwork I believe made the art piece more interesting rather then just walking through a dark subway hall.
One of the first artworks we explored around the downtown UofT campus was "Transmutations: Night - For- Day " where they were inviting the audience to dance and come onto the stage...I have to say I was impressed at how open this event was although Nuit Blanche was suppose to be an interactive event with many things to see I was a little disappointed that some of the events we explored seem to have allot of restrictions. Unlike some of the other events the actors in “Transmutations” really thrived on the audience’s interaction. From my perspective I believe “Transmutations” frictional plays were making a commentary on today’s media, particularly TV talk shows and celebrities. For example one of the skits portrayed a talk show host and a female celebrity talking about charity and her career and how she was donating to her favorite charities. I guess the actors in this play were trying to portray how celebrities today use charities to exploit and gain attention and to show there generous side to the public. To show they care about others in society other than there career. But by showing up on a talk show it’s a double standard because you are getting more publicity for yourself as an actor or singer. I believe the actors of the play were trying to portray how the powerful in our society could exploit the medium of television for there own personal gain.
No comments:
Post a Comment